Most Effective Workouts:
2. Hold the bar at a little wider than shoulder width apart. Since you are usually lifting excessive amounts of weight with the deadlift, you need to grip one hand with the palm facing down, and the other facing up (between each rep you should alternate which hand is gripping up, and which is gripping down).
3. Keeping your back straight and your heels on the ground, stand up slowly.
*Let your legs do the work, do not lift the bar with your arms or shoulders.
2. Keeping your legs completely straight (also keep your back as straight as possible) stand straight up.
*You should feel a strain in your hamstrings and gluts.
1. Start with a barbell (and desired amount of weight) on a squat rack.
2. Remove the bar from the rack by standing under the barbell and lifting it onto your shoulders behind the head.
3. With your feet shoulder width apart, put both hands on the bar.
4. Begin to squat (pretend you are sitting on an imaginary chair), keeping your back as straight as possible.
5. Once you are down to where your butt is parallel with the ground, slowly stand up again, straightening your knees. When squatting, pay close attention to the soles of your feet. They should feel as if most of the pressure is on the heels (never on your toes).
1. Stand in a regular squat position (see squats).
2. Stand away from the squat rack (this lift requires a lot of room).
3. Move one leg back and to the opposite side of your body (across and behind the opposite leg, like a curtsey). Once you have that leg in the curtsey position, bend both legs while keeping your back straight.
4. Go back to the starting position and repeat the above steps, only with the opposite leg.
Bulgarian Squats (One-legged squats):
1. Put a bench directly behind you.
2. Stand in a regular squat position (see squats).
3. Lift one leg up and put that foot on the bench behind you.
4. Keeping your back straight, perform a squat.
5. Perform a set of squats with one leg, and switch to the other leg for the next set.
*Do not be afraid to use a lot of weight, since your calve muscles are very strong.
1. On a leg curl machine, lay on your stomach.
2. Lift the bar with one leg at a time.
*If you lift with both legs at the same time, your dominant leg will lift the most weight. Lifting with one leg ensures that each leg is being exercised equally.
1. On an extension machine, lift with your legs in a kicking motion (a.k.a extending your legs).
2. Lift one leg at a time. This will ensure that each leg is being exercised equally.
2. Come back up and do the same thing with the other leg.
*There are two very effective ways to do lunges. One is with weight, the other is with repetition.
Ham and Glut Raises:
2. Let your upper body hang down.3. With your hands behind your head, lift your upper body up, while slightly bending your knees. You should feel the strain in your gluts and hamstrings.